Sunday, November 28, 2010

Well, this week is over. I think that I can safely say that I am well rid of the Thanksgiving spirit, but there is something about this erratic holiday that I miss. Perhaps it is the inflatable turkeys in all of the shop windows; perhaps it is the Thanksgiving television specials. Perhaps it is just the feeling of goodwill and happiness that abounds during this week. Whatever it is, somehow I am feeling hollow, as if a bit of myself were carved out. Strange, considering how this day in its entirety has irked me through a century and a half. However, I will not despair: this holiday comes once a year, which is extremely often when you think of the average human lifespan. I have endured 149 Thanksgivings throughout my years, and I think that my memory can weather one more.

No comments:

Post a Comment